[Distutils] EasyInstall --> distutils command + setuptools enhancements?

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Wed Jun 8 20:20:34 CEST 2005

Phillip J. Eby wrote:
>> I'm still not clear.  Do you mean you intend people to do:
>>
>>   python setup.py install_depends
>

> That wasn't what I had in mind, although now that you mention it, it
> sounds kind of handy.  Not so much that people would type it directly,
> as that folks who don't want their users to have to install EasyInstall,
> could use it as part of their build process.
>
> Hm.  That's actually a fantastic idea.  Thanks!  :)

Um, okay ;)  It seems a little strange to me, but I suppose it does
solve the bootstrapping problem.  Well, not "solve", but for instance I
can just keep (or update) the code in Paste's setup.py to fetch
setuptools and add it to sys.path, though that code does feel a bit
crufty, since it's never going to be a very robust installation process.

Where will the normal script go then?  Like, when you want to install a
package manually, and you don't have its setup.py file yet?  Will the
easy_install script just be a kind of metadata-less version of
distutils' setup()?