[Distutils] small improvement of the script functionality under win32

Trent Mick trentm at ActiveState.com
Wed Mar 30 19:30:14 CEST 2005

[Phillip J. Eby wrote]
> Anyway, I guess my point is that the patch should *not* be accepted unless
> it actually checks whether the Windows version is high enough to support
> these features.

If that is done, the check should be on the shell being used, i.e.
command.com (which is the limited one) vs. cmd.exe. Generally this can
be done by looking at the COMSPEC environment variable. For example, if
one goes through Microsoft's upgrade process to upgrade from a Win9x
flavour to, say, Win2k, then one's COMSPEC will still (unfortunately) be
command.com.

Cheers,
Trent

--