[Distutils] distutils bug.

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Sun May 22 00:49:09 CEST 2005

At 03:34 PM 5/21/2005 -0700, Titus Brown wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>it seems that distutils doesn't recognize '.zip' files as being part of
>packages, so if I have the following structure,
>
>         twill/__init__.py
>         twill/pyparsing.zip
>         twill/mechanize.zip
>         twill/shell.py
>         twill/commands.py
>
>then packages = ['twill',] doesn't install the .zip files.

With Python >=2.4, or with the setuptools package, you can add something
like this to your setup options:

     setup(
         package_data = {'': ['*.zip']}
     )

And .zip files will be then installed.  See:

     http://docs.python.org/dist/node11.html

for documentation on the package_data option.

(By the way, the behavior you describe is not a "bug"; it's distutils'
current documented behavior.)