[Distutils] Questions about Python Eggs

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Sun May 22 21:51:37 CEST 2005

Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> At 01:07 PM 5/22/2005 -0500, Ian Bicking wrote:
>
>> Ah, it's much easier than we realized:
>>
>>   python setup.py --command-packages=setuptools.command bdist_egg
>

> By the way, this only works with Python 2.4 and up.

Blast, foiled again!  Oh well, moving bdist_egg.py into
distutils/command works (at least for 2.3).  Since the whole point is to
keep other people from having to run setup.py (by just distributing the
eggs), that's not too big a deal.

I guess this is the classic problem where standard library enhancements
are more distracting than useful when you can't rely on a specific
version of Python.

--
Ian Bicking  /  ianb at colorstudy.com  / http://blog.ianbicking.org