[Distutils] non-"standard" compilers...

Nicholas Bastin nick.bastin at gmail.com
Fri May 27 00:47:09 CEST 2005

I am in serious need of some help (mental?) with building a
distutils-distributed python extension (PyXML).

I am on Solaris 8, with the SunPro Forte 10 compiler.  I tried the
following command line, thinking that it was reasonable:

python setup.py build --compiler=unix

but the definition of "standard UNIX-style compiler" appears to be
'gcc'.  Although I don't quite understand that...the dictionary in
unixcompiler.py is initialized to the compiler being 'cc', which would
be the Right Thing(tm) on quite a lot of unix platforms, including
Solaris.  However, by the time the compile command is actually issued
on the command line, it's trying to use gcc.  I don't follow quite how
distutils decides what compiler to use, so I was wondering if someone
could point me in the right direction to build with SunPro instead of
gcc.

For extra credit, and help with my vast amount of mental anguish,
someone could try to tell how to build with the Intel C Compiler on
windows...

--
Nick