[Distutils] non-"standard" compilers...

Nicholas Bastin nick.bastin at gmail.com
Fri May 27 18:41:41 CEST 2005

On 5/27/05, Phillip J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:
> At 12:15 PM 5/27/2005 -0400, Nicholas Bastin wrote:
> >Also, I'm assuming this is only true on unix?  Win32 seems to pick
> >MSVC no matter what (and complain a lot if you don't have it).
>
> That's because MSVC is the only supported compiler for Python on that
> platform.  There has been some work on supporting the MinGW compiler, and
> the MinGW compiler can be used to build extensions that work on Windows,
> but nobody has done any work on supporting any other compilers that I know of.

The Intel C++ compiler works perfectly well (we build and ship using
this compiler).  However, because we do this, we can't use any
distutils-distributed extension modules, because they complain that we
don't have the .NET runtime or some such.  I usually just try to
construct makefiles for the extension modules in each package, and
that works reasonably well for most extensions.

Also, does distutils support the notion of installation a 'FAT'
distribution?  We also have to tear each install apart to put the .py
files in a platform independent place, and the .pyd's in a
platform-specific location, which usually involves a lot of magic
tricks when the .pyd's are imported as part of a package.

--
Nick