[Distutils] non-"standard" compilers...

Stefan Seefeld seefeld at sympatico.ca
Fri May 27 20:27:15 CEST 2005

Nicholas Bastin wrote:

> I'll see what I can do about providing an iclcompiler class for win32
> (the compiler is supported on linux as well, but I don't have that
> version).

There once was an efford to work towards some 'distutils 2.0',
what happened to that ?

I'v been using distutils for years, but due to a number of its
limitations I'm mostly using custom command classes. In particular,
I find the way distutils deals with extension modules rather inflexible.
Providing custom compilers isn't enough, and so I more or less
bypass the distutils 'Extension' concept entirely, so I can run 'make'
or 'scons' for subprojects as needed.

I had hoped that at some point distutils would get redesigned to
make it more flexible in particular in those areas.

Thanks,
		Stefan