[Distutils] EasyInstall: installing non-distutil packages

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Mon May 30 07:20:58 CEST 2005

Well, I gave this a first go.  I've attached a diff, but I'm not
actually advocating that it go in.

In this, you have to explicitly give the package name, because it's
often not clear from the download location.  So here's two examples:

python easy_install.py --force-package=flup -d app-packages/
http://svn.saddi.com/flup/trunk/flup

python easy_install.py --force-package=Component -d app-packages/
http://svn.w4py.org/Component/trunk

Hrm... but I don't really like it.  First, force_package is passed into
Installer.__init__, and it should be part of the spec.  Also, I don't
think you always need to explicitly give the package name, sometimes it
is self-evident.  Also it doesn't work with plain Python files, which
can't even be properly downloaded at this point, and for which eggs seem
a little excessive.  (To give an example of a single file I'd like to be
able to install:
http://bellsouthpwp.net/m/e/mefjr75/python/PySourceColor.py)

I'm thinking maybe a better way to do this would be some sort of patch
process, so that I could distribute a setup.py seperately, or some other
custom build process, that easy_install could detect and run.

And, of course, obviously I *could* fix these upstream, but I think this
is a useful problem to solve through easy_install, even if these
particular packages get fixed later.

--
Ian Bicking  /  ianb at colorstudy.com  / http://blog.ianbicking.org