[Distutils] ez_setup 0.6a7 crashes on Python2.3, AMD64, Debian linux

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Wed Nov 2 17:54:59 CET 2005

At 01:36 AM 11/2/2005 -0800, Andrew Straw wrote:
>Hi, on a just-installed Debian sarge AMD64 installation, I have the
>following behavior, which looks similar to the issue discussed here:
>
>http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2005-September/056955.html
>
>(Like the author of that message, I have also downloaded setuptools from
>CVS, and also get an OverflowError.)
>
>Any idea why setuptools doesn't seem to be running on my platform?

You need Python 2.4 if you're using a 64-bit platform; Python 2.3's
"zipimport" module has a bug that wasn't fixed until Python 2.4 was
released.  See this message for more details:

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2005-September/056818.html

I did, however, forget to add this to the setuptools documentation as I
promised in that message, so I've just added it to my local copy so I won't
forget again.  :)