[Distutils] New setuptools in subversion

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Thu Nov 3 16:47:50 CET 2005

At 09:16 AM 11/3/2005 -0500, Kevin Dangoor wrote:
>On 11/2/05, Phillip J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:
> > Since the Python CVS has been migrated to Subversion, it's now possible to
> > get fresh setuptools checkouts using EasyInstall.  That is, you can use:
> >
> >      easy_install setuptools==dev
>
>How do you set this up? I'd like to do something similar for
>TurboGears, since the 0.9 release is a bit bigger than the 0.8
>release.

Just include an #egg link in your PyPI long_description.  Take a look at
the setuptools setup.py and setuptools.txt (which is where setup.py reads
the long description from).

Alternately, you can just put the #egg link on the download page, since in
your case the download page is linked from PyPI.  EasyInstall scans the
home page and download pages of a project for useful links when you request it.

Note, by the way, that this means as long as you have links on your
download page for all the dependency projects, they should be satisfied
from there as well, without a need to explicitly reference the download page.