[Distutils] (no subject)

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Fri Nov 4 01:56:31 CET 2005

At 07:08 PM 11/3/2005 -0500, Phillip J. Eby wrote:
>As far as I know, yes.  I don't know what is meant by "properly support
>C++", though.  If the meaning is "support static initializers when Python
>was not built with a C++ compiler and runtime", then that statement might
>be correct, but if that is the issue then no other method of building
>(short of rebuilding the Python executable) would fix the problem anyway,
>and distutils is neither the problem nor the solution in that case.

A follow up on this...  it appears that "proper support for C++" was
implemented in the distutils about 2 years ago, and has been distributed
with Python since version 2.3:

http://svn.python.org/view/python/trunk/Lib/distutils/command/build_ext.py?rev=29513&view=markup

If I understand this link correctly, no special actions are needed to build
C++ extension modules with the distutils; just list 'em and go.

Of course, if you're still using 2.2 (like Google), you're probably out of
luck on this issue.