[Distutils] setuptools: .egg-info/ and PKG-INFO

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Fri Nov 4 21:19:38 CET 2005

Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> At 01:09 PM 11/4/2005 -0600, Ian Bicking wrote:
>
>> Well, like I said, any custom command.  These just inherit from
>> setuptools.Command, implementing the standard
>> initialize_options/finalize_options/run methods.  I even tried having
>> my custom command recursively call "egg_info" (with
>> get_finalized_command), but because the error is signaled before I get
>> as far as .run() (where I put the egg_info call) it doesn't help.
>> Maybe I could use another method that is invoked earlier.
>>
>> Though now I can't reproduce it; maybe this was fixed in 0.6a7?
>

> Dunno.  As I mentioned on the Turbogears list, the problem isn't going
> to happen if your source code is in a subdirectory of the one containing
> setup.py.  Perhaps you've changed layouts?
>
> In any case, as I mentioned on the Turbogears list, I'm going to try to
> put in some code to detect whether there is a "broken egg" in the
> working set and monkeypatch its 'version' attribute to work around this
> bootstrapping problem.  That should make it more robust and eliminate
> the need to include any of the .egg-info files in Subversion, at least
> for most normal projects.  (Setuptools is an oddity in that it defines
> entry points that it then uses while building itself!  Its
> .egg-info/entry_points.txt file is therefore not optional.  But the need
> for this sort of self-bootstrapping setup process should be extremely
> rare.)

FYI, I'm already putting my own custom files in the .egg-info/
directory.  And sqlobject-admin now looks for a sqlobject.txt file in
the egg metadata, which it uses to find the SQLObject subclasses in the
project (and a couple other things).  These could all possibly be moved
to entry points, but treating them as simple configuration files has so
far seemed easier to manage.