[Distutils] eggs end up at end of sys.path

David Handy david at handysoftware.com
Tue Nov 8 21:10:31 CET 2005

First, I want to say that I am very glad that setuptools/eggs are being
developed - it is a great thing for Python.

I have been lurking on this list for a while. The two features that
convinced me it was time to start using setuptools were automatic generation
of .exe starter programs from console_scripts entry points, and this
feature:

"""
Activated distributions are now inserted in sys.path (and the working set)
just before the directory that contains them, instead of at the end. This
allows e.g. eggs in site-packages to override unmanaged modules in the same
location, and allows eggs found earlier on sys.path to override ones found
later.
"""

However, after I do a pkg_resources.require(), my egg always ends up at the
end of sys.path. I exected the egg file to show up before the directory that
contained it, in this case a non-site-packages directory in my PYTHONPATH.
This is on setuptools versions 0.6a7 and 0.6a8dev-r41402.

(Hopefully this is helpful feedback. If not let me know and I'll go back to
lurking.)

--
David Handy
Computer Programming is Fun!