[Distutils] eggs end up at end of sys.path

David Handy david at handysoftware.com
Tue Nov 8 21:10:31 CET 2005

First, I want to say that I am very glad that setuptools/eggs are being
developed - it is a great thing for Python.

I have been lurking on this list for a while. The two features that
convinced me it was time to start using setuptools were automatic generation
of .exe starter programs from console_scripts entry points, and this

Activated distributions are now inserted in sys.path (and the working set)
just before the directory that contains them, instead of at the end. This
allows e.g. eggs in site-packages to override unmanaged modules in the same
location, and allows eggs found earlier on sys.path to override ones found

However, after I do a pkg_resources.require(), my egg always ends up at the
end of sys.path. I exected the egg file to show up before the directory that
contained it, in this case a non-site-packages directory in my PYTHONPATH.
This is on setuptools versions 0.6a7 and 0.6a8dev-r41402.

(Hopefully this is helpful feedback. If not let me know and I'll go back to

David Handy
Computer Programming is Fun!
Beginning Computer Programming with Python