[Distutils] eggs end up at end of sys.path

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Wed Nov 9 04:04:19 CET 2005

At 09:41 PM 11/8/2005 -0500, David Handy wrote:
>I created a fairly minimal project which I have attached as
>MyProject-0.1.zip which demonstrates the problem. On Linux, it puts the egg
>in the proper place in sys.path (ahead of the PYTHONPATH directory), but on
>Windows it puts the egg file on the end. See the README.txt file for
>example output. (I have seen this problem on both Win98 and WinXP.)

Based on the contents of README.txt, it's clearly a case-sensitivity issue,
as 'c:\\home\\lib\\python\\myproject-0.1-py2.4.egg' doesn't start with
'C:\\home\\lib\\python' (lowercase vs. uppercase C:).

I believe the correct fix therefore is for Distribution.insert_on() to
normalize the sys.path entries before comparison.  Please give revision
41408 a try.  ("easy_install setuptools==dev" should upgrade you.)