[Distutils] Distutils has no module named util, or is it a package problem?

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Thu Nov 10 22:59:47 CET 2005

At 03:27 PM 11/10/2005 -0600, Ian Bicking wrote:
>Phillip J. Eby wrote:
>>At 10:15 AM 11/10/2005 -0800, Ben Bangert wrote:
>>
>>>I'm getting the following very odd behavior when downloading and
>>>installing from subversion for Paste lately. The error makes it tough
>>>to know if this is a Paste problem, a local problem (I've had it on
>>>two different OSX machines now), or a setuptools problem.
>>
>>Check whether there is a distutils/util.py in your
>>/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/python2.4/ directory.
>
>I realize now what the problem is.  I included this in the setup.py:
>
>import sys, os
>sys.path.insert(0, os.path.dirname(__file__))
>from paste.util import finddata
>
>This would actually work...

I don't understand what you're trying to do; the setup script's directory
should already *be* on sys.path.

>except it doesn't work when doing the sandbox install, and the exception
>comes during the sandbox phase.  I'm not sure why a sandbox installation
>is happening (zip_safe is explicitly set to False)?

easy_install runs all setup scripts in a sandbox, since it has no way of
knowing whether a given script is "safe" until it actually runs it in the
sandbox.  Easier to ask forgiveness than permission, you might say.  :)