[Distutils] (b)dist-dir questions

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Wed Nov 16 02:07:17 CET 2005

At 04:30 PM 11/15/2005 -0800, daishi at egcrc.net wrote:
>On Nov 15, 2005, at 3:44 PM, Phillip J. Eby wrote:
>>Replace the 'install' part of your command line with 'easy_install
>><there>projectname-projversion-pyversion.egg', or if <there> is an empty
>>directory, then 'easy_install <there>/*.egg' will also work.
>
>Right; of course. Thanks.
>
>Is there a way to query a setuptools-based
>setup.py to ask what the output egg filename
>would be, so that I could do something like:
>
>EGG=`python setup.py egg_name`
>easy_install $DIST/$EGG

Try `python setup.py --name` and `python setup.py
`--version`.  Unfortunately, these won't be in the escaped format used to
create filenames.  If the name or version contain "illegal" characters they
will be replaced with '_' in the name and version actually used for the
filename.  Rather than deal with all that, you may find it easier to just
use an empty dist directory and *.egg.