[Distutils] [TurboGears] hardcoded paths in tg-admin.exe and easy_install.exe?

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Wed Nov 16 19:19:54 CET 2005

At 10:17 PM 11/15/2005 -0600, Ian Bicking wrote:
>rtilley at vt.edu wrote:
> > Perhaps this has been mentioned already. So, forgive me if it has.
> >
> > I install Python into 'C:/Program Files/Python24' as I do not like to
> > clutter up the C:/ portion of my file system. After installing
> > turbogears and trying to begin the tutorial, I get the below error when
> > I do this 'tg-admin quickstart':
> >
> > Program: can't open file 'Files\Python24\python.exe' : [Error 2] No
> > such file or directory
> >
> > The same thing happens when I try to run easy_install.exe
> >
> > The .py versions of tg-admin and easy_install work fine... it's just
> > the .exe versions that crash. I have named this the 'hard-coded python
> > path bug'.

Actually, it's not hardcoding that's the issue.  It's that something
somewhere is using spaces to parse the #! line.  I'll look into this, as
I'm not sure whether it's in the setuptools #! line code, or in the .exe's
#! parser.

> > Also, the instructions about adding 'C:\Python24' and
> > 'C:\Python24\Scripts' to the PATH variable should be adjusted to
> > wherever the user has actually installed Python ;)

I make the assumption that somebody smart enough to be able to change the
location should be smart enough to figure out how to adjust the
instructions.  :)  No sense making the directions more complicated for
everybody else.