[Distutils] easy_install -U setuptools fails on Windows (workaround)

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Thu Nov 17 20:11:36 CET 2005

At 01:52 PM 11/17/2005 -0500, Brad Clements wrote:
>oth, I think if the install renames the target file first, then creates
>the new
>.exe with the correct name, that will work.
>
>I'm not sure if you can delete a renamed .exe that's still in-use.

Even if you could, the rename isn't going to work on older (non-NT)
versions of Windows, and even on newer versions I gather that renaming an
in-use .exe is harder than it sounds.

Maybe what I need is a way to build an executable that doesn't need to keep
its .exe open, or perhaps use a .com launcher instead.  :)