[Distutils] Overiding the site-packages/<module> directory name?

Bob Tanner tanner at real-time.com
Mon Nov 21 23:44:21 CET 2005

Phillip J. Eby wrote:

>>`-- usr
>>     |-- lib
>>     |   `-- python2.4
>>     |       `-- site-packages
>>     |           `-- formencode
>>     |               |-- javascript
>>     |               `-- util
>>
>>I'm working around the "problem" by installing a formencode.pth pointing
>>to the /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/FormEncode-0.4-py2.4.egg
>>directory.

> This isn't a "problem", it's just that the Debian policy isn't
> up-to-date.  Python eggs install this way, and many packages (e.g.
> TurboGears) require the new structure.

Then we have a problem in the Debian world. :-( Here is a snippet of an
email I received from the Debian powers. I also believe this individual is
one of the authors of the python-policy for Debian. I've X'd the name/email
to protect the innocent.

===================== snip ==================================
> On Monday 21 November 2005 09:09 am, XXXXXXX XXXXXX wrote:
> > $ dpkg -L python2.4-formencode
> > [...]
> > /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/FormEncode-0.4-py2.4.egg
> > /usr/share/doc/python2.4-formencode/copyright
> > /usr/share/doc/python2.4-formencode/changelog.Debian.gz
> >
> > ??? Please don't do that in a Debian package.
>
> First question, why?

Because you can't us it with a simple "use formencode".
"pydoc" doesn't work with eggs either.

> If it break Debian policies, please point me to the appropriate
> section(s) and documents. I wasn't able to find any related to python
> module packaging.

zless /usr/share/doc/python/python-policy.txt.gz

>Lastly that is the default installation method when using cdbs. Which I
think
> just delegates it to the setup.py (ie authors choice?)

Probably. .egg packages might be a nice generic way to ship Python stuff
to random OS installations, but I don't think they should be used in
standard Python packages that are shipped in a Linux distribution like
Debian.
===================== snip ==================================

To comply, I added a zip_safe = False to the setup() of FormEncode, then
moved

/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/FormEncode-0.4-py2.4.egg/formencode

/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/formencode

Are you saying the comply-hack- above will potentially break other python
packages (like Turbogears)?

- --
Bob Tanner <tanner at real-time.com>          | Phone : (952)943-8700
http://www.real-time.com, Minnesota, Linux | Fax   : (952)943-8500
Key fingerprint = AB15 0BDF BCDE 4369 5B42  1973 7CF1 A709 2CC1 B288