[Distutils] formencode as .egg in Debian ??

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Tue Nov 22 21:50:00 CET 2005

Bob Tanner wrote:
>>An egg and Python packages don't map 1-to-1.  An egg can contain
>>multiple packages (which is fairly uncommon so far), but also a
>>top-level package can exist in more than one egg (i.e., namespace
>>packages, like zope.interfaces or paste.script).  The metadata belongs
>>to the egg, not to the package inside the egg.
>

> I'd like to bring focus back to immediate problem at hand (and yes, I
> understand there is something much bigger involved).
>
> The ultimate goal is to debianize TurboGears, reading the above, and other
> posts using the legacy site-packages (non-egg) installation will "break"
> TurboGears?

Well... not really, but TurboGears will think it is broken, because it
will require packages that will be available (through some non-egg
form), but it won't realize are available.  ElementTree in particular; I
don't know if the other packages TG uses are available as Debian
packages currently.  That's for 0.8.  In 0.9 and ahead it will be more
broken, because TG will both provide and consume egg metadata
(entry_points, in particular).  So while it would be reasonably easy to
patch TurboGears now to be installed without eggs, that's only a
short-term solution.

However, it is also possible that you could patch Kid (which TG
requires) to remove the requirement on ElementTree (adding that
requirement to the Debian package metadata) and then you'd be fine into
the future.  In that model, all the new packages you do for TurboGears
would be installed as eggs, but packages already available won't be
installed as eggs.