[Distutils] formencode as .egg in Debian ??

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Wed Nov 23 00:57:13 CET 2005

At 12:35 AM 11/23/2005 +0100, Martin v. Löwis wrote:
>For this, CGI scripts come to mind. Many people use them, and they
>are often short-running, and they often get invoked frequently.

I find that surprising, since I only use CGI if I'm not concerned about the
start time.  It's not like there aren't dozens of "long-running process"
solutions for Python web apps including mod_python, FastCGI, SCGI, Twisted,
and even ReadyExec, to fit almost every conceivable need.  And since the
advent of WSGI, more frameworks can be used with more of those deployment
options than ever before.

I guess I can imagine the extra millisecond or two pushing a borderline
case over from "making do with CGI" to "need an LRP solution", but I'd also
think that anybody with that kind of a situation would already know it.

I could be wrong of course, and I'm not arguing that it's *not* a possible
issue for some people, I'm just saying why it didn't occur to me as a use
case for needing faster startup.  It also seems strange to me to think the
import time (especially import time of non-existent modules) would be a
significant factor compared to the actual request handling time.