[Distutils] formencode as .egg in Debian ??

David Arnold david at mantara.com
Wed Nov 23 01:53:19 CET 2005

-->"Phillip" == Phillip J Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> writes:

  Phillip> This is a major advantage over developers who do not do this,
  Phillip> not only in developer effectivness, but also because a
  Phillip> developer who depends exclusively on a specific packaging
  Phillip> system will not have the same effective reach for their
  Phillip> offering, or conversely will require a greater investment of
  Phillip> effort to support various packaging systems.

<coming to this a little late>

So, this would seem to imply that installation of eggs is similar to
using PEAR or CPAN?

If so, from the perspective of a Debian user, this is a major
disadvantage.  I'm used to having a single framework that manages my
packages and their dependency relationships, and it works well.

Adding a language-specific mechanism simply causes problems, with stray
files installed into directories "owned" by a .deb package, versions of
CPAN/PEAR-installed packages drifting out of date with the interpreter
and standard library, and just the cognitive load of needing to deal
with something other than apt-get.  My experiences with CPAN/PEAR
packages have been universally bad, and I now try very, very hard to use
nothing except apt/dpkg.

I understand that from a Python-only perspective eggs might have a bunch
of ease-of-use advantages, but from my point of view I'd suggest it's
better that the developer (or Debian packager) takes the trouble to make
it work with dpkg so all Debian users get to maintain the consistency
they're used to.

My 2c, etc,