[Distutils] formencode as .egg in Debian ??

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Wed Nov 23 02:12:32 CET 2005

At 01:40 AM 11/23/2005 +0100, Martin v. Löwis wrote:
>Phillip J. Eby wrote:
>>I find that surprising, since I only use CGI if I'm not concerned about
>>the start time.  It's not like there aren't dozens of "long-running
>>process" solutions for Python web apps including mod_python, FastCGI,
>>SCGI, Twisted, and even ReadyExec, to fit almost every conceivable
>>need.  And since the advent of WSGI, more frameworks can be used with
>>more of those deployment options than ever before.
>
>As an example, both MoinMoin and pypi (cheeseshop) ran as CGI scripts
>on python.org for quite some time. I'm not sure whether this is still
>the case case, but there were certainly many accesses to both, and
>they produced a significant load.
>
>Currently, viewcvs runs as a CGI script on svn.python.org. This is
>because I don't know what FastCGI, SCGI, Twisted, and ReadyExec are,
>and I have only heard of mod_python, and I don't have any time to
>learn any of these, and then find out how to adjust viewcvs to
>use them. I guess once the search engines find them, they will
>also contribute to the load.
>
>Also, the sf redirector (python.org/sf) is a CGI script. It
>runs fairly quickly these days, but it might not get invoked
>so often.

Sure, I run viewcvs and MoinMoin as CGI scripts as well, because they're
low-volume use.  My point was more that if a few milliseconds per request
would make any meaningful difference to those applications' performance, I
would have already migrated them to use one of the many long-running
process options for Python web applications.  That's why it didn't occur to
me to consider that worth caring about.

Again, I'm not saying it might not be an issue, just that I never even
considered it because I've been doing long-running Python web apps with
FastCGI for about 8-9 years now, so the idea of running something
millisecond-critical as a CGI just isn't something that would occur to me.