[Distutils] formencode as .egg in Debian ??

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 17:53:40 CET 2005

On 11/23/05, Phillip J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:
> At 11:53 AM 11/23/2005 +1100, David Arnold wrote:
> >-->"Phillip" == Phillip J Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> writes:
> >
> >   Phillip> This is a major advantage over developers who do not do this,
> >   Phillip> not only in developer effectivness, but also because a
> >   Phillip> developer who depends exclusively on a specific packaging
> >   Phillip> system will not have the same effective reach for their
> >   Phillip> offering, or conversely will require a greater investment of
> >   Phillip> effort to support various packaging systems.
> >
> ><coming to this a little late>
> >
> >So, this would seem to imply that installation of eggs is similar to
> >using PEAR or CPAN?
> Not at the level I think you mean.  Apart from the .pth file, and any
> scripts, each egg has its *own*, 100% encapsulated file or directory, for
> example, which is quite different from at least CPAN.  (I don't know
> anything about PEAR.)

Interesting. I would say that *something* in the
easy_install/egg/setuptools area feels *exactly* like CPAN to me.
Where I would like to use my system's standard packaging solution (I'm
on Windows, so I mean the Windows Add/Remove Programs control panel
applet here, as supported by bdist_wininst or more recently
bdist_msi), I am being required to use a different mechanism.

Like David, I don't like anything other than the "official" (ie,
Windows installers in my case) mechanisms having access to the Python
installation directory.

If there was a way of building a Windows installer that installed
packages in "egg" form, so I didn't have to use setup.py at all when
installing, just double-click on the installer, that would suit me.
This feels like what the Debian people want with their .deb format as

The wording I'm using here is possibly not accurate - there seem to be
a confusing mix of concepts and ideas going round, with no-one having
a good understanding of all of them. My apologies - if there's a good
glossary somewhere, which explains what to call things like

  * The executable I click on in Windows to install something
  * The .deb file that a Debian user downloads and installs
  * The set of files that end up in Python's site-packages
     - for a "normal" install (bdist_wininst, non-egg, whatever)
     - for an egg
     - that comprises the difference between the above two ( :-) )
  * etc, etc

then I'll be happy to restate my comments in those terms. (Assuming I
understand the glossary - I've not managed to assimilate any of the
previous attempts to establish clear terminology, unfortunately).