[Distutils] formencode as .egg in Debian ??

Matthias Urlichs smurf at smurf.noris.de
Thu Nov 24 00:25:28 CET 2005

Hi,

Phillip J. Eby:
> I'm also debating whether this option should also require the --record
> option, since there might otherwise be no way for an external packaging
> tool to know which files and directories belong to the installed package.

Sure there is -- you install with --root (in Debian's case it's usually
$pwd/debian/tmp), which was empty before you started, and declare that
*all* files in there belong to the package you're creating. Or you use
an external LD_PRELOADed file installation logger.

Thus you could simply declare that somebody who does that either
deserves to shoot themselves in the foot, or has a valid reason to do it
(maybe I'm testing the latest version and don't want to fill my system
with .pth files pointing to my development directories -- I, for one,
*will* forget to delete them afterwards ... on the other hand, the mess
I just created will nicely clean up after itself when I install the next
official version on top, assuming I managed not to install random
additional files).

Matthias Urlichs   |   {M:U} IT Design @ m-u-it.de   |  smurf at smurf.noris.de
 - -
"Remember, the German people are the chosen of God.  On
 me the German Emperor, the spirit of God has descended.
 I am His sword, His weapon, and His vice-regent."
      [Kaiser Wilhelm II, 4 August 1914]