[Distutils] formencode as .egg in Debian ??

Donovan Baarda abo at minkirri.apana.org.au
Thu Nov 24 15:24:24 CET 2005

On Thu, 2005-11-24 at 14:14 +0100, Josselin Mouette wrote:
[...]
> > or having multiple versions of a package
> > installed at the same time.
>
> Is this a joke? Installing several versions of a package is fragile,
> it's a security mistake, and takes place on the hard disk for no real
> use.

This is true for a production environment, but not for a development
environment where you want to develop/test/support multiple versions of
Python. Debian is used for both. It should support both.

The broad diversity of Python applications, all with their own
independent Python version dependencies and migration schedules, also
makes this impractical for many production environments.

Hence we should support multiple versions of Python.

> I'm currently fighting so that we stop supporting so many python
> versions, and I hope we won't have to support several versions for each
[...]

And there is still a lot of Debian Python people resisting :-)

> package, each of them for several python versions! This would become a
> complete nightmare.
[...]

I think we are pretty close to managing this already, although it could
use some tweaks... mind you, I'm all talk and no action on this front,
so I should probably be ignored.

Disclaimer: This should not be interpreted as an argument for or against
egg's. This thread is the first time I've even heard of them.

--
Donovan Baarda <abo at minkirri.apana.org.au>
http://minkirri.apana.org.au/~abo/