[Distutils] formencode as .egg in Debian ??

Matthias Urlichs smurf at smurf.noris.de
Thu Nov 24 15:49:34 CET 2005

Hi,

Christopher Lenz:
> (And no, I'm not going to repeat the numerous attempts by Phillip to
> politely and comprehensively explain it all.)

Sorry -- I don't buy that. I've read all these messages too, and I also
don't know what's in the metadata besides dependency information.

Debian, rpm, and other Linux packaging systems don't need to install
Python-specific dependency information in their packages.

It's probably nice to have so that non-system Python packages can complain
properly, instead of throwing an incomprehensible exception later (and
leaving one with a partially-installed system or whatever), but that's a
different problem.

> When Debian users want to install and use those systems, you're gonna
> gave to tell them why eggs aren't supported.

It seems that the next version of the .egg builder _will_ support a mode
that works for Debian packaging, which is *great*, so ...

Matthias Urlichs   |   {M:U} IT Design @ m-u-it.de   |  smurf at smurf.noris.de
 - -
Order is the sanity of the mind, the health of the body, the peace of the
city, the security of the state. As the beams to a house, as the bones to the
microcosm of man, so is order to all things.
					-- Southey