[Distutils] formencode as .egg in Debian ??

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 21:39:21 CET 2005

Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> At 11:36 AM 11/24/2005 -0800, Robert Kern wrote:

>>I think one of the sticking points with the Debian developers has been
>>that the .egg-info metadata is being put into /usr/lib/... when
>>according to Debian policy and general UNIX lore, such should be placed
>>somewhere in /usr/share/.... Would it be possible to treat
>>/usr/share/pythonX.Y-egginfo/ as a proxy for
>>/usr/lib/pythonX.Y/site-packages/ when searching for .egg-info directories?
> The sticking point is the relative relationship to a sys.path directory
> (line 2 of requirement 1, above).  Since a program such as Trac can
> legitimately manipulate sys.path to e.g. add plugin directories, we need to
> be able to do some reasonable transformation to *every* sys.path entry,
> preferably without introducing some kind of distro-specific configuration
> to match special directories and redirect them.  We really want to treat
> every sys.path entry as a valid place to find a project's metadata, since
> each is a valid place for the actual packages to live.

I'm not suggesting that /usr/share/.../ should be the only place to find
 .egg-info directories. Simply that pkg_resources would scan
sys.path+['/usr/share/.../'] and treat the ones found in /usr/share/.../
as if they were in /usr/lib/pythonX.Y/site-packages/. Everywhere else
that a user could put Python packages (e.g.
/usr/local/lib/pythonX.Y/site-packages/) is fine to put whatever the
user wants. Eggs, .egg-info/; it doesn't matter. It doesn't need an
alternate location. Debian packages need to be more disciplined, but all
Debianized Python packages are installed to
/usr/lib/pythonX.Y/site-packages/ so we only need the one alias, not many.

It's possible that only the DD in charge of packaging setuptools will
have to concern himself with coding this.

Robert Kern
robert.kern at gmail.com

  -- Richard Harter