[Distutils] [Bulk] Re: formencode as .egg in Debian ??

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Fri Nov 25 17:53:17 CET 2005

[Debian trimmed since this is Windows-specific]

At 04:33 PM 11/25/2005 +0000, Paul Moore wrote:
>On 11/25/05, Phillip J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:
> > At 10:28 AM 11/25/2005 -0500, Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> > >Actually, I'm increasingly tempted to PEP the idea of a
> > >name-version.pkg-info file being installed alongside the code as a
> standard
> > >Python distutils feature.  This discussion has made it clearer (even to
> > >me!) how useful such a thing would be, and if it became a standard part of
> > >the distutils, it would simply become part of Debian and every other
> system
> > >packager unless explicitly removed.
> >
> > Also, it just occurred to me that this would ultimately fix one of Paul
> > Moore's complaints about eggs as well.  If bdist_wininst included this
> > .pkg-info, then even Windows "managed" packages would be supported in this
> > scheme,
>
>That would be a major bonus for me, certainly.
>
> > and setuptools could include a bdist_wininst that made similar
> > .exe's to wrap eggs.
>
>That would be the other half of the equation. I had avoided suggesting
>precisely that, because it's daft of me to expect you to do this work
>just to stop me moaning (and installer-writing is enough of a black
>art to me that I can't assume it's an easy change to the existing
>bdist_wininst code).

Actually, the only thing weighing against it in my priorities is the other
half of the equation.  Until regular win32.exe's include pkg-info, it
doesn't make sense to only half-solve this problem; it's better to focus on
improving the egg-centric tools (like easy_install), since these can
provide a complete solution, and you're the only person who has said they
would rather download and install individual .exe packages than use
easy_install to take care of the whole business.