[Distutils] problems installing elementTree

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Sat Nov 26 20:06:52 CET 2005

At 01:15 PM 11/26/2005 +0000, Sharky On PTNet wrote:
>Hi,
>
>    I'm getting problems instaling Turbogears when easy_install try to
>install cElementTree.
>
>   I have ubuntu breezy (5.10) with python 2.4.2. Any one can helpme with
> this?

I've just checked in a fix.  The problem was that the effbot.org pages
contained links that look like download links (because they include
cElementTree-1.0.2-20050302.zip as the last path part), but which are
actually links to a CGI that lets you view the *contents* of the zipfile,
as an HTML page.

The way that EasyInstall was sorting candidate links was causing it to
prefer longer links over shorter ones, assuming that the two links appeared
to be pointing to the same package, version number, and format.  I've now
changed it to prefer shorter links over longer ones, assuming all else is
equal.  And I've verified that this makes it ignore the effbot.org CGI
links and prefer the real download links.

You can upgrade your EasyInstall using:

     easy_install setuptools==dev

this will upgrade you to the latest revision from Subversion.

(Note: Windows users, please use "ez_setup.py setuptools==dev", as
easy_install.exe isn't currently able to updgrade itself without permission
problems.)