[Distutils] specifying --with-featurename with ez_setup.py / easy_install

Matthew Scott mscott at goldenspud.com
Mon Oct 3 03:19:11 CEST 2005

On 10/2/05, Phillip J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:
> At 05:11 PM 10/2/2005 -0500, Matthew Scott wrote:
> >When building/installing a package using a setuptools-based setup.py,
> >you can do things like this to enable packages for optional features:
> >
> >   python --with-featurename setup.py install
>
> Actually, it's "python setup.py --with-featurename install"

D'oh!  You are entirely right.  That's what I get for re-typing it and
not copy/pasting it in :)

> >   easy_install --with-featurename -f http://example.com/dist PackageName
> >
> >Is this possible with easy_install?
>
> Yes and no.  What you want is the --editable option, which gets you a
> source version of the package.  Then you use "python setup.py
> --with-featurename install".
>
> In other words, if you need to do a custom build of a package, you can only
> use easy_install to find/fetch/unpack it.  You also have the option of
> using "--with-featurename bdist_egg" to build an egg, then using
> easy_install to install the egg.

It sounds like the solution, then, would be to not use 'Feature', to
include all Python packages when installing, and use extras_require in
the call to setup()?

I'll try that and see what I can get it to do.

It does beg the question though, what is the intended use case of
'Feature' if features cannot be selected when installing using
easy_install?

--
Matthew R. Scott