[Distutils] Include (.h) files not installed?

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 00:11:08 CEST 2005

Roberto De Almeida wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm using setuptools to distribute my DAP (Data Access Protocol) module.
>   The module depends on Numeric Python and Scientific Python, so I added
> the following to the setup.py script:
>    install_requires = [
>                        'Numeric>=22.0',
>                        'scientificpython>=2.4.9'
>                       ],
> There's no download URL for Numeric python in PyPI, so I created a
> package index at http://pydap.org/package_index.html. I then try to
> install my module with:
>    easy_install -f http://pydap.org/package_index.html dap
> Easy_install downloads and install Numeric, and then proceeds to install
> Scientific. Scientific also depends on Numeric, and requires the include
> file "Numeric/arrayobject.h" to be compiled. The problem is that this
> file is not being installed when easy_install installs Numeric.
> Any hints?

eggs don't contain headers which are installed by the install_headers
distutils command. I've tried to work around this in scipy_core, the
coming Numeric replacement, by placing the headers in the package itself
and providing a function for dependant packages' setup.py's to call to
locate the headers.

For source installations of older Numeric, though, you're SOL unless
someone implements header installation for eggs.

Robert Kern
rkern at ucsd.edu

  -- Richard Harter