[Distutils] setuptools in a cross-compilation packaging environment

Vincenzo Di Massa hawk78_it at yahoo.it
Thu Oct 6 02:31:18 CEST 2005

Alle 18:37, mercoledì 05 ottobre 2005, Phillip J. Eby ha scritto:
> > without all the dependencies.
> > >
> > > In the long run, this should be done by packaging the result of bdist_egg,
> > > and by default doing bdist_rpm will do this now.  In the short term, unless
> > > you're switching to an all-egg distribution, you'll probably want to use
> > > legacy/unmanaged mode.
> >
> >I think you are missing his point here:
> >
> >As package maintainer you *have* to be able to build a distribution
> >package without all the dependency checks being applied - how else
> >would you be able to bootstrap the package in case you have circular
> >dependencies ?
>
> In legacy/unmanaged mode, setuptools' "install" command behaves the way the
> standard distutils "install" does today, without creating an egg or
> searching for dependencies.

I think that eggs are a good addition to python distutils as long as they can be created by
packagers too. If legacy/unmanaged mode is mandatory to build a package we will never see
Fedora/Debian/Mandriva and the other big distros shipping eggs.

The ability to install a package without installing its dependencies is crucial to let setuptools
beeing widely used IMHO.

As I previosly wrote here, another requisite would be very good for packagers and setuptools users too:
extra egg file installation from setup.py.

If setuptools setup.py need to install an .h file or some /etc/config or some /usr/share/heavy.tar.gz by hand...
everything more complex than a simple python module will need its distributor to reinvent the weel every time!

I think setuptools is a really good package as is, but I always try to add my 0.0001€ when I can.

Regards
Vincenzo