[Distutils] setuptools: Missing unmanaged module warning; Failed SVN cleanup; Wrong version in .egg name

John J Lee jjl at pobox.com
Mon Oct 31 21:37:41 CET 2005

Hi all, I'm trying to get some Egg/setuptools/easy_install-ified packages
working.  I've run into three problems.

I'm running on Windows XP SP2 with Python 2.4.2.  I believe I have the
latest easy_install.  I have setuptools 0.6a6.

First, here's what I'm doing (readers should be able to duplicate this,
since the SVN URL that this invocation makes use of is up on the Cheese

C:\jjlee\code>easy_install -m ClientForm==dev
Searching for ClientForm==dev
Reading http://www.python.org/pypi/ClientForm/
Reading http://wwwsearch.sourceforge.net/ClientForm/
Best match: ClientForm dev
Doing subversion checkout from
http://codespeak.net/svn/wwwsearch/ClientForm/trunk to c:\docume~1\johnle~1\locals~1\temp\easy_install-38wlkt\trunk
svn: Unknown hostname 'svn.eby-sarna.com'
Processing trunk
Running setup.py -q bdist_egg --dist-dir

Installed c:\python24\lib\site-packages\clientform-0.2.1a-py2.4.egg

Because this distribution was installed --multi-version or --install-dir,
before you can import modules from this package in an application, you
will need to 'import pkg_resources' and then use a 'require()' call
similar to one of these examples, in order to select the desired version:

     pkg_resources.require("clientform")  # latest installed version
     pkg_resources.require("clientform==0.2.1a")  # this exact version
     pkg_resources.require("clientform>=0.2.1a")  # this version or higher

error: c:\docume~1\johnle~1\locals~1\temp\easy_install-38wlkt\trunk\.svn\dir-prop-base: Permission denied

1. Failure to remove temporary SVN working copy on XP SP2.  I get the
same issue with my own manual checkouts, and use rmdir /q /s working_copy
to get rid of them.

2. I don't get any warnings about conflicting unmanaged packages when I
install my package, contrary to these docs:

   a. Problem 1. above prevented the warning being displayed

   b. The package is named 'ClientForm', but the egg base name is
      'clientform' so I wonder if this is a case sensitivity issue?

3. It said:

Installed c:\python24\lib\site-packages\clientform-0.2.1a-py2.4.egg

But I asked for version "dev", and the Cheese shop entry I uploaded for
testing purposes (just to get the SVN URL into the long-description) was
different again: "0.2.1a-pre1"!  Why don't I get an egg with version

Thanks in advance for any help with all this,