[Distutils] setuptools: Missing unmanaged module warning; Failed SVN cleanup; Wrong version in .egg name

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Mon Oct 31 22:26:25 CET 2005

At 08:37 PM 10/31/2005 +0000, John J Lee wrote:
>svn: Unknown hostname 'svn.eby-sarna.com'

This is a DNS problem that I just fixed (I think), please try again.

>Problems:
>
>1. Failure to remove temporary SVN working copy on XP SP2.  I get the
>same issue with my own manual checkouts, and use rmdir /q /s working_copy
>to get rid of them.

Check and see if this happens when you're *not* getting the 'Unknown
hostname' bit.  If so, then I'd guess there's a problem with how SVN is
setting the permissions.  I'd need more info about this to debug.  (I use
cygwin subversion and don't have any problems with this on Win2K.)

>2. I don't get any warnings about conflicting unmanaged packages when I
>install my package, contrary to these docs:
>
>http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/EasyInstall#dealing-with-installation-conflicts
>

>Guesses:
>
>    a. Problem 1. above prevented the warning being displayed
>
>    b. The package is named 'ClientForm', but the egg base name is
>       'clientform' so I wonder if this is a case sensitivity issue?

The names that are checked are the ones in the egg's
'EGG-INFO/top_level.txt'.  The conflict checker doesn't do any case
mangling.  So I'm not sure what's going on here.  Are you sure you have a
conflicting package or module present?  If so, where?

>3. It said:
>
>Installed c:\python24\lib\site-packages\clientform-0.2.1a-py2.4.egg
>
>But I asked for version "dev", and the Cheese shop entry I uploaded for
>testing purposes (just to get the SVN URL into the long-description) was
>different again: "0.2.1a-pre1"!  Why don't I get an egg with version
>"dev"?

Because when building from source, the version number is controlled by the
source setup.py.