[Distutils] Fixing the stdlib

Trent Mick trentm at ActiveState.com
Fri Sep 2 02:26:56 CEST 2005

[Ian Bicking wrote]
> Vaguely off-topic, but I figured someone here might know...
>
> Anyway, I want to provide backported stdlib modules to older versions of
> Python.  Most of these are trivial to backport, so it's just a matter of
> accumulating them in one place.

Is it important in your use case to magically stick them in the same
place as the standard locations? I remember a few people mentioning that
they have their own "compat" (or "compat23", ...) modules kicking
around. It might be nice to have a collective "compat" or "backported"
package out there, then users could explicitly:

    try:
        from compat import tempfile
    except ImportError:
        import tempfile

Dunno if that matches up with what you wanted to do.

> Thoughts?

An import hook that does the magic?

Trent

--