[Distutils] setuptools: Utility of setup() arguments

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Wed Sep 7 00:59:59 CEST 2005

Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> Only that I personally found editing the files directly to be an
> enormous pain.  :)

Why?  The only issue I see is that setup.py puts all that data in one
place, where otherwise it's several separate files to work with.  But
anyway, I guess I'm thinking about tools to make that manipulation
easier or more consistent, so I'm apt to consider them separately.

> There are numerous ways to solve your problem, however.  For example,
> you can create a command that runs egg_info and then rewrites the
> requires.txt file, and run it before commands that need egg_info.  For
> example, you could create an alias like:
>
>     develop = egg_info strict_requires develop
>
> that runs your "exact_requires" to rewrite the file before running develop.

I think I'd probably want something like:

   strict_install = egg_info --tag-date strict_requires install

I feel like using a specific set of requirements means that the package
itself is a new version, hence --tag-date.  And the whole thing is best
done as an entirely new command (strict_install) since this is something
I'd only do for some installations (not during development, for
instance), and I don't really want to override an existing command.

I'm a little wary of rewriting something that egg_info writes, because
egg_info can rewrite it later.  But I suppose the command alias makes it
into a single operation, so it doesn't seem as fragile.  Though one
advantage of editing the files is that I could apply strict_requires to
a tag and commit those changes, encapsulating the exact environment that
was used when creating that tag.