[Distutils] question about setuptools

Robert Kern rkern at ucsd.edu
Wed Sep 14 01:44:34 CEST 2005

Phillip J. Eby wrote:

> See:
>
> http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/python/python/nondist/sandbox/setuptools/EasyInstall.txt?rev=HEAD&view=auto
>
> under "Non-Root Installation" for details of the best way to do this; it
> may require a slight adjustment to your layout, but it will then allow you
> to use .pth files in your home-based setup.  You will have to clear out
> your --home setup from .pydistutils.cfg, though.

Do you think it might be possible for ez_setup.py and easy_install.py to
interpret the --home and --prefix options sensibly? Two people I've
tried to convert to setuptools work exclusively on Linux with non-root
installations. --prefix was the first thing they tried because it's the
standard way for distutils to do this kind of thing. I suspect many
other people will do the same.

--
Robert Kern
rkern at ucsd.edu