[Distutils] question about setuptools

Robert Kern rkern at ucsd.edu
Thu Sep 15 06:39:47 CEST 2005

Phillip J. Eby wrote:

> This code will break on other people's installations, in that it will not
> be able to tell you're installing to a non-"site" directory unless you
> explicitly provide an --install-dir on the command line.  It will thus
> create a non-working easy-install.pth, and will fail to warn the user that
> 'require()' is needed.

I know. I said it was not satisfactory and that the real tricky part
wasn't calculating the path but determining whether --prefix was
explicitly provided or not.

Ooh! But if install_cmd.prefix != sys.prefix, then --prefix must have
been explicitly set by the user! Eureka! Now I just have to figure out a
way to find out if --install-dir wasn't set....

--
Robert Kern
rkern at ucsd.edu

  -- Richard Harter