[Distutils] Installed but can't run the quickstart

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Mon Sep 19 17:46:07 CEST 2005

Bob Ippolito wrote:
> Well, if it makes a difference, EasyInstall works great on Mac OS X  and
> Windows.  If Debian users had been more active with the  EasyInstall
> development process then the experience would be better  there also.

I've used EasyInstall on Debian all along, without problems (well, no
more than anyone else I think).  I guess I just happened to avoid
conflicts with debian packages (well, sometimes).  The setuptools deb
package should just be removed; as far as I can tell nothing depends on
it anyway (well, at least on my now-Ubuntu system "apt-cache rdepends
python2.3-setuptools" shows nothing).

There is a significant concern about setuptools conflicting with Debian
packages, which I have encountered, and you can't always uninstall the
Debian package because that can have cascading effects.  At some point
there needs to be a way to tell setuptools that a package has been
provided, egg or no egg.  Surprisingly nothing depends on ElementTree
(that I can find), but docutils is caught up in the network of Debian
dependencies.  (Well, there's also ways of indicating to Debian that
you've provided a dependency somehow besides the package, but I can't
remember how.)

Since this really has just become a Distutils discussion I'll copy it
over there...