[Distutils] buildutils

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Thu Sep 22 17:21:24 CEST 2005

Kevin Dangoor wrote:
>>I guess next up I'm going to re-look at how to enable some of these
>>commands conditionally, along the lines discussed in this thread:
>>http://mail.python.org/pipermail/distutils-sig/2005-August/005011.html
>>
>>Maybe it will actually mean removing some of the current entry points,
>>and requiring developers to specifically configure them (e.g., pudge, or
>>publish).
>

> I have thought that the pudge command belongs in pudge itself and not
> buildutils. (Though I understand why it's in buildutils, since it
> predates the ability to define commands via entrypoints.)

But does the presence of pudge on the system mean anything more or less
than the presence of buildutils?  If pudge *isn't* on the system, I'd
like the command to still show up for appropriate projects, but with a
missing dependency.  And just because pudge is on the system, doesn't
mean it should be applied to every project.

Though, it seems to apply fairly easily to projects that aren't
expecting it, so that might not be accurate in this case.  And something
like flakes -- which is also generally applicable -- need not be
specifically enabled.  But pytest probably should be, and so forth.