[Distutils] python eggs and lxml

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Sat Sep 24 11:37:40 CEST 2005

Martijn Faassen wrote:
> Phillip J. Eby wrote:
>
>>At 11:57 PM 9/23/2005 +0200, Martijn Faassen wrote:
>>

>>>I've been looking at Python eggs, easy install and setuptools with a lot
>>>of interest -- very impressive work. I've been thinking of packaging
>>>lxml with it, and, on the larger scale, look into packaging Zope 3
>>>with it.
>>>
>>>Concerning lxml I run into a few questions however.
>>>
>>>lxml depends on large external C libraries (libxml2 and libxslt).
>>>
>>>a) Is there a way to require versions of C libraries to be available in
>>>the Python eggs dependencies? I can't seem to find a reference to this
>>>scenario, but perhaps I didn't look carefully enough. The goal here
>>>would be to give users trying to install lxml (or something that depends
>>>on lxml) useful feedback about what in their system they're missing (or
>>>have the wrong version of).
>>

>>Your options here are the same as with any distutils package, which is
>>to say you have to figure it out yourself.  ;)  You can add code to look
>>for the libraries, embed your own source, etc.
>

> Right. I was hoping I didn't need to dive into the internals of
> distutils of course, but it's no surprise that I'd have to.

Hi Martijn,

I'd suggest you take a look at mxSetup.py which is included
in all recent egenix-mx-* packages. The egenix-mx-experimental
package makes heavy use of its features to build and include
external libs.

For the latest version, see:

http://www.egenix.com/files/python/egenix-mx-base-2.1.0-2005-05-01.zip

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Sep 24 2005)