[Distutils] Non-root install for testing

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Sun Sep 25 22:16:15 CEST 2005

I've created a script to set up a non-root installation of Python,
suitable for testing installation procedures.  It follows the
instructions located here:
http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/EasyInstall#non-root-installation

The script is at: http://svn.colorstudy.com/home/ianb/non_root_python.py

To do testing I've created a new user on my system, so I don't mix
things up with my normal development, and so I have nothing to lose ;)

I use it like:

/usr/bin/python non_root_python.py --no-site-packages --clear

I doubt it will work on a Windows system, but it should work on a Mac.
You can run it with --clear to reset the system quickly, so you can
restart your installation process from zero.  --no-site-packages doesn't
copy anything from the standard site-packages dir (unlike in the
instructions), so you can start out even more bare.  But you can use
that or not, it shouldn't cause a problem either way.  (Well, it *can*
cause problems, but interesting problems; like I have cheetah installed
with a Debian package, so if I copy site-packages I get an error related
to that -- I'm not sure what to do about that at this point).

Just make sure ~/bin is first in your $PATH.

  Ian