[Distutils] easy_install question

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Fri Apr 28 01:38:54 CEST 2006

At 06:47 PM 4/27/2006 -0400, Collin Winter wrote:
>On 4/27/06, Phillip J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:
> > The problem is that you've uploaded distributions for two different
> > projects: one named "functional-C", and the other named
> > "functional-Py".  Since neither one is "functional", EasyInstall keeps
> looking.
>
>Would EasyInstall prefer names like functional-0.6-Py* instead?

Technically, that would be a version number: "0.6-Py", and it would mean
the "Py post-release of version 0.6".  "0.6-C", on the other hand, would
mean a "release candidate of version 0.6".

>Even with the name change, though, my real question remains: how would
>EasyInstall decide between, say, functional-0.6-Py.tar.gz and
>functional-0.6-C.tar.gz (or similarly-named eggs)?

By the higher version number, which in this case would be 0.6-Py.

There are two ways you can solve this problem:

1. Name the projects functional-C and functional-Py, and give each its own
Cheeseshop listing (ala ElementTree/cElementTree), or

2. Do a source-only distribution that builds the C extension if and only if
a C compiler is available.  Call the single project "functional".

#2 is hard to do at the moment, as neither the distutils nor setuptools
support such a fallback position at present.  I hope to add some kind of
"this C extension is optional" support during the 0.7 development cycle.