[Distutils] [setuptools] old project release bootstrap broken by removal of 0.6a11

John J Lee jjl at pobox.com
Thu Aug 3 01:34:39 CEST 2006

Somebody reported to me that one of my project releases [1] has suddenly
stopped being installable for people who don't already have setuptools

The breakage occurred because the recommended method for providing a
bootstrap (bundling ez_setup.py -- or FWIW, ez_setup/__init__.py, in my
case) at least as of setuptools-0.6a11, unconditionally fetches the
version of setuptools whose version number is embedded in ez_setup.py.
That now fails for 0.6a11, because that version has been removed from

Obviously people trying to install this old release of mine can still
install setuptools manually by downloading ez_setup.py themselves.  But it
would be nice if in future, the bootstrap were clever enough to fetch a
directory listing and then grab the latest setuptools release.
Otherwise, project releases that were very easy to install in the past
suddenly become more complicated to install just because the PyPI
setuptools download area has been cleaned up.

[1] http://wwwsearch.sourceforge.net/ClientCookie/src/ClientCookie-1.3.0.tar.gz