[Distutils] [setuptools] include files and eggs

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Mon Aug 7 01:23:27 CEST 2006

Hi,

Several python packages, such as Numeric, will install header files
during installation. It seems to me that the best way to support this
in a world of eggs is to add those include files to eggs and teach
setuptools to use those includefiles in build_ext.

The attached patch does just that. It adds an egg_info.writer that
writes all distribution.headers to the egg-info directory and patches
build_ext to add header files from all active distributions to the
include path.

I'm not entirely sure that this patch is correct, although it seems
to work just fine. The egg_info.writer for include files adds a
directory with files to the meta-data, the documentation and API seem
to assume that writers will write a single file. The patch to
build_ext feels hackish and I'm not sure if adding all active
distributions is the right thing to do, maybe only header files from
distributions that are mentioned as setup_requires should be added.
That would avoid possible problems during upgrades of packages.

Ronald