[Distutils] Passing build_ext arguments to easy_install?

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Tue Aug 8 16:43:28 CEST 2006

I need to install a package that depends on an external non-python
library. I need to be able to specify the locations of the library's
include and library files. Normally, when invoking setup.py myself,
I'd pass these using the --include-dirs and --library-dirs options.
Is there any way to pass this information to easy_install?

Note that the package in question doesn't use setuptools, but I want
an egg as a result.  The only way I know how to do that is with
easy_install.

One hack I can think of is to use --editible and --build-directory to
download the package, write a setup.cfg into the resulting directory
and then run easy_install on the result.  I would hope though that
there is a better way. :)

Jim

CTO 				(540) 361-1714			http://www.python.org