[Distutils] Problems with cli.exe

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Mon Aug 21 22:32:36 CEST 2006

I've found a bug with cli.exe and a missing feature.

The bug is that arguments containing embedded spaces aren't handled
correctly.
For example, suppose you have foo-script.py and a copy of cli.exe
named foo.exe.
If you call foo.exe with a single argument, like this:

   foo "a b"

then foo-script.py will be called with 2 arguments, "a", and "b",
rather than a single argument, "a b".

The missing feature is that options on the #! line aren't honored. It
would be nice if, for example, a script beginning like:

   #!\Python24\python.exe -O

would run Python in optimized mode.

I'd be happy to take a crack at fixing the bug and adding the
feature.  Where is the source?

I assume that this also applies to gui.exe.

BTW, Shouldn't the setuptools project be moved out of sandbox and be
made a proper svn project with it's own trunk, branches, and tags?

Jim

CTO 				(540) 361-1714			http://www.python.org