[Distutils] Spurious "required version not available" error for setuptools?

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Thu Aug 31 17:46:17 CEST 2006

At 10:46 AM 8/31/2006 +0100, Hamish Lawson wrote:
>Others on the Kid mailing list seem to be having setuptools problems:
>
><http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=30391159&forum_id=43670>
>
>Is it Kid's installation setup that's awry?

That problem is due to them using a11 after I killed off all the alpha
releases from the Cheeseshop to keep people from installing versions that
had some rather serious bugs that were fixed by the beta versions.  This
doesn't affect your problem; even though they've changed the ez_setup
you're still going to get an installation conflict error in your
installation.  The problem you're having is specific to your installation,
in other words.

On the whole, I think ez_setup is going to have to grow a way to bootstrap
to the "latest non-alpha version" if there's one out there.  I should
probably also have it output information about the conflicting setuptools
installation if there's a conflict, as that would have made your problem
easier for you to spot up front.