[Distutils] develop egg recipe?

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Sat Dec 2 14:50:36 CET 2006

On Dec 1, 2006, at 10:26 PM, Nathan R. Yergler wrote:

> I'm using zc.buildout for a project that also utilizes a custom egg-
> info
> writer.

What is a custom egg-info writer? and why do you want one?

> I specify the egg-info writer package as a setup_requires
> package in setup.py.

setuptools provided so many options like this.  I really like
setuptools, but worry that it's complexity will slow it's
acceptance and slow the benefit from the essential simplicity
of eggs.

>   Of course, that doesn't trigger zc.buildout (er,
> setuptools) to install that egg when I run buildout.

I wonder why. zc.buildout is just running the develop
setup command.  Is the setup_requires feature not expected
to work with the develop command?

> I could work
> around this by specifying two parts in buildout.cfg: first install the
> egg for my egg-info writer, then create a development egg for my
> project
> (which uses the egg-info writer).
>
> I'm curious if there's a way with the current recipe set to create a
> develop egg within a part, as opposed to just specifying "develop = ."
> in the [buildout] section.

No.  I plan to write a develop recipe, and am hoping to get to that this
weekend.

Jim

CTO 				(540) 361-1714			http://www.python.org